Having had a wonderful holiday in Scotland I was shocked to find how little chocolate plays in the lives of Scottish people. We’ve all heard of deep-fried Mars bars and the like, but it seemed every shop I went into was either filled to the brim with shortbread or whisky. There was hardly any locally produced chocolate to be found. I spent the first few days rueing my decision to go for a short break to Scotland, but I eventually found a small deli called Pestle & Mortar down the road in Strathblane and then near the end of the week I found that Dobbies had a delicatessen too. So packed with a desire to spend some good money on some excellent local chocolate, I left disappointed.
Although the week was a failure in chocolate terms, I did manage to buy some chocolate. I bought some Strawberry and Black Pepper with Dark Belgian Chocolate from Berry Scrumptious, some chocolate chip biscuits from Cottage Delight where were actually from Staffordshire (doh!), some Mrs Bridges luxury Belgian chocolate cookies from Carnousite near Dundee, some Cartmel sticky toffee chocolates from Lanceshire and some Lindt Tarte Citron Meringue from France. As you can see, the selection offered by Scotland and found by me was very poor. So here’s a selection of Scottish chocolate producers I eventually found – but obviously haven’t reviewed yet.
- Berry Scrumptious – Manse Farm, Peathill, Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire, AB43 7HD
- The Chocolate Shop – 74 High Street, Banchory, AB31 5SS
- Coco – 174 Bruntsfield Place, Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, EH10 4ER
- Maya Belgian Chocolates – Strathpeffer, Ross-Shire IV14 9DE
- The Cocoa Bean Company – Ashland, Twynholm, Dumfries & Galloway, DG6 4NP
- Caraswells – various locations throughout Scotland
- The Chocolate Tree – 123 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH10 4EQ
- Hot Chocolates – Online
- Cocoa Mountain – 8 Balnakeil,Durness, Lairg, Sutherland, Scotland, IV27 4PT
- Tobermory Handmade chocolate – Isle of Mull, Argyll, Scotland, PA75 6NT
- Kimbles Chocolates – Upper Mall, St Enoch Centre, Glasgow, G1 4BW
- Laura’s Chocolates – 52 High Street, Kinross, KY13 8AN
- A Tatse Of Arran – Online
- Cocoa Black – Online
- Crymbles – Online
- Isle of Skye Chocolate -Lochview House, Harlosh, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye, IV55 8ZH
- Lime Tree Larder – Auchencloigh Farm, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, KA25 7LJ
- Miss Coco – Online
- The Chocolate Bothy – Address unknown.
- Duncans of Scotland – online